08 December 2010

Reverb10 - 8 December

Prompt: Beautifully different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different - you'll find they're what make you beautiful.


Organization. Hosting. Creativity. Old-fashioned. These are the words that came to mind when I asked myself how I am different and what makes others brighten.


Organization. Yes, I am OCD. Yes, I write everything down. Yes, I have time blocked off in my calendar for staying in and watching a movie. It's how I operate, and how I like to do so. I love check lists, and they do me well. Being ridiculously organized is how I get by. It's part of me. My passion for organization and order makes me different.


Hosting. I love hosting get-togethers, be it a movie night or a Thanksgiving dinner party. I love welcoming people into my home. While I'm still working on making introductions, the expansion of social circles still occurs. It makes me happy to think about how many people have made friends because I was there to help their paths cross. My passion for opening my home and bringing people together makes me different.


Creativity. I've always loved to make things, especially with my hands. Knitting, crocheting, sewing - these are some of my favorite crafts. As a girl I would make friendship bracelets (all of my embroidery floss was organized by color in my little case, of course). I have dabbled in jewelry, and I like to make my own cards to give to people for any occasion. My favorite part of being creative is seeing people's amazement at what I've made. It's fun to answer their question of "where did you get that?" with "oh, I made it myself."With the conveniences of today's world, hand-made goods are not as easy to come by. My passion for creating things makes me different.


Old-fashioned. In many respects I am old-fashioned. With regards to dating, etiquette, even Technology. I appreciate doing things the hard way instead of taking the short-cuts. I like to think about what life was like before all of the modern conveniences and advances. Once upon a time we used to have to pump water. Now we turn a knob. I'm not saying I want to live in the stone age; I am in the field of Technology, after all. I am, however, saying that my old-fashioned tendencies and preferences make me different.

No comments: