27 February 2015

Return of the Quilt

It's been since August 2013 that I've lifted a finger for my quilt, but that changed this week. I'm back at it! Here's the update:

I'm happy to report that no additional money has been spent on this quilt. Well, I did drop a whopping $6 for some sewing machine oil, but I haven't used it yet because my sewing machine's manual doesn't explain where to apply the oil. However, I did learn how to clean out the lint in the machine area, and that has helped the machine to run better than it was recently.

The following is a log of when and how much time I've put towards this quilt. The last line item is the new one, a reboot so to speak!

DateNumber of HoursRunning Total of HoursDescription
25 May 20131.01.0pick pattern
28 May 20131.02.0convert twin-size pattern to king-size
1 June 20133.55.5choose fabric, figure yardage, purchase fabric
1-2 June 20132.58.0wash and dry fabric
2-3 June 20136.514.5trim and iron fabric
4 June 20130.7515.25cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric
9 June 20130.7516.0cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric
22 June 20132.518.5cut 15 blocks' worth of six pattern fabrics
30 June 20131.019.5cut 15 blocks' worth of two pattern fabrics
8 July 2013.7520.25cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric
9 July 20130.520.75cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric
11 July 20130.521.25cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric
18 July 20132.523.75cut 15 blocks' worth of two pattern fabrics
4 August 20130.2524.0cut 48 squares of beige fabric
9 August 20130.2524.25cut 48 squares of beige fabric
23-26 February 20152.2526.5sewed 12 pinwheel blocks of one pattern fabric, cut 96 squares of beige fabric, and prepped next 2 sets of 15 pinwheel blocks

And now for some photos!

this is what the finished product will resemble
My first few pinwheel blocks from this point (by the way, the fabric is tiny enough that the 2 pins here are not necessary; with the remaining 14 pattern fabrics I won't bother - and that will save me a lot of time!)

to this finished point

took about 10 minutes per pinwheel block. I was happy to find that I quickly became efficient and shaved off 25% of that, getting down to 7.5 minutes per pinwheel block.

12 pinwheel blocks of one pattern fabric

the back of a pinwheel block

making beige squares for the pinwheel blocks

pattern fabric #2 is ready to be whipped into pinwheel blocks

pattern fabric #3 is on deck

my workspace lately

Note: my original plan was to make a 120" x 120" king size bedspread for my queen size bed because I want it to hang all the way to the floor on the sides and have enough length to tuck the pillows in like my grandma showed me when I was a little girl. I've since learned that this size quilt is to big even for industrial-sized sewing machines. So if I stick with this size I'll have to hand-quilt it. Which, if I do a large stitch pattern, won't be so bad. I mean, what's another several hours when I've had this project going for years, heh. Anyway, I can do that OR I can make it a smaller quilt and pay someone with an industrial-sized sewing machine to do the quilting for me. I have plenty of time to decide. For now I'm only doing 12/15 pinwheel blocks per pattern fabric because I'm afraid I'll run out of the beige material for the squares in the pinwheels; this may be the deciding factor in the size of my quilt.

Related Posts: