19 February 2009

Who I Am in 5 Years

Who you will be in the next five years depends on three things:

1. the books you read
2. the people you meet
3. the choices you make

-Bob and Emilie Barnes

---------

I fully agree, and right now each of these elements is so visible in my life. Given the amount of free time I have now that I'm working through the day and have wide open evenings, I have had ample time to read. It is my favorite pass-time, and I firmly believe one can learn so much from books. In that respect, reading greatly shapes a person. As a side note, I'm really excited to start reading Jane Austen's "Emma" with my Mom across the distance!

The people you meet. I am a lump of clay waiting to be molded when it comes to this one. So far, outside of Purdue friends in neighboring cities, I've met one person: Cody, my neighbor from across the hall. Cody is a fine new friend, though I've my work cut out for me regarding my new social life here. I'm happy to report that I've been very proactive in that I've joined the Orlando Women Runners group who meet for a run every Saturday, and I joined LA Fitness last week. I hope to make some friends in a regular spinning class.

Lastly, the choices you make. Our actions define us. I've made some very hard decisions lately, but I know they were the right ones. I've learned that when it comes to things that really matter, it is often the most difficult choice that is best for all. The choice we selfishly don't want but go with, in the end, because it really is the best decision. Not only do our actions define us, but they can teach us a lot about ourselves if we stop to reflect. I know I've grown a lot in the last year - especially with having been abroad for half of it - and as fabulous as it was, the best is yet to come.

-Amanda

No comments: