26 February 2009

About Lockheed Martin

Most of you reading this know that I am now a Lockheed Martin employee. What you may not know is what exactly Lockheed Martin is. To aid you in this dilemna I've compiled some information about the company.



That is the Lockheed Martin F 22 Raptor. It was featured as Star Scream in Transformers. Pretty cool.

Over the course of my two internships and so far during my full-time status I've really gotten to know my employer. Lockheed Martin (LM) is extremely focused on ethics, values, diversity, inclusion, work/life balance, and its employees. Bob Stevens http://www.lockheedmartin.com/aboutus/bios/stevens.html , LM's Chairman, President and CEO, is very present in the work lives of the employees at all levels. It seems he makes an appearance in most all presentations that we see here. I think that shows how much the higher-ups care about the whole family, so to speak. I feel like I am an important part of the LM picture (despite not having an assignment yet, haha).

Now for some background. LM HQ are in Bethesda, Maryland, very near DC (hello, Geof & Lana!).

LM has over $41.9 billion in sales (wow!). Our biggest fan is Uncle Sam: the US DOD comprises 59% of sales, civil government and Homeland Security make up 27%, and the remaining 14% are international sales. The backlog of orders sits at more than $76.6 billion! I can't even fathom that amount of money.

On the New York Stock Exchange LM's ticker symbol is LMT. LM was ranked 57th on the 2007 Fortune 500 list of the largest industrial corporations.

I am one of approximately 140,000 employees world-wide. There are over 1,000 facilities!

If you'd like to learn more, check out Wikipedia's LM article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin

-Amanda

No comments: