07 January 2010

The Alchemist



When I first saw this book in the store I wondered what story could be told about chemistry and mountains. When I first heard a passage of the book in a dear friends wedding I added the novel to my reading list. Lucky for me, it wound up being the November 2009 book for my book club; we had wonderful, intimate discussion that evening at Stardust.

Here are a few reasons why I love "The Alchemist:"

1. It read like a fairy tale, transporting me to childhood with breaths of magic, nostalgia and enlightenment.
2. The story is simple and powerful.
3. The protagonist is transformed.
4. I think everyone would benefit from reading it.
5. The allegories are clever and well done.

I'm upset with myself for waiting so long to write this review, but "better late than never," right? Bottom line: you should read "The Alchemist" if you haven't already.

Wikipedia Article

Amanda

No comments: