30 August 2009

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

This lady here is Jodi Picoult:


Jodi Picoult



Earlier in the summer I had the pleasure of devouring her book, My Sister's Keeper, in just a few days:


My Sister's Keeper


IMDB Article

Official Movie Site

First off, this book was emotional. Jodi really pulls you in and gives you reason to care about her characters. Not to mention the controversial situation the story revolves around (a girl is conceived as a perfect match donor for her older sister who has a rare and aggressive form of cancer). By the end of the first chapter I was hooked.

I enjoyed how Picoult portrayed the passage of time, and how the story was told through different character's points of view with the changing of the chapters. Throughout the story there is a developed theme of fire, and I found that to be very well integrated with the story and even the characters and their situation. Jodi also weaves astrology into the story. I never figured out which of the two sisters was the bigger star... Hard to tell, and arguable both ways.

I was pleasantly surprised when there was a kangaroo reference, haha. Yay for Australia! Jodi does well with presenting issues which are black, white and so many which are grey. I'm still undecided on how I stand, personally, with regards to designer babies... If I was Kate's parents, I really couldn't tell you what call I would make about having Anna or not. It's just a terrible situation to find oneself. Anyway, the twist at the end is what jerks the heart the most, but I really liked the ending. I figure it was best for both sisters in the long run.

Tiffany and I had been trying to see the movie in theatres together, but we weren't able to before the movie left theatres, so we fully intend to have a movie night when the flick is available on DVD!

Amanda

No comments: