I'm happy to report that no additional money has been spent on this quilt. Well, I did drop a whopping $6 for some sewing machine oil, but I haven't used it yet because my sewing machine's manual doesn't explain where to apply the oil. However, I did learn how to clean out the lint in the machine area, and that has helped the machine to run better than it was recently.
The following is a log of when and how much time I've put towards this quilt. The last line item is the new one, a reboot so to speak!
|Date||Number of Hours||Running Total of Hours||Description|
|25 May 2013||1.0||1.0||pick pattern|
|28 May 2013||1.0||2.0||convert twin-size pattern to king-size|
|1 June 2013||3.5||5.5||choose fabric, figure yardage, purchase fabric|
|1-2 June 2013||2.5||8.0||wash and dry fabric|
|2-3 June 2013||6.5||14.5||trim and iron fabric|
|4 June 2013||0.75||15.25||cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric|
|9 June 2013||0.75||16.0||cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric|
|22 June 2013||2.5||18.5||cut 15 blocks' worth of six pattern fabrics|
|30 June 2013||1.0||19.5||cut 15 blocks' worth of two pattern fabrics|
|8 July 2013||.75||20.25||cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric|
|9 July 2013||0.5||20.75||cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric|
|11 July 2013||0.5||21.25||cut 15 blocks' worth of one pattern fabric|
|18 July 2013||2.5||23.75||cut 15 blocks' worth of two pattern fabrics|
|4 August 2013||0.25||24.0||cut 48 squares of beige fabric|
|9 August 2013||0.25||24.25||cut 48 squares of beige fabric|
|23-26 February 2015||2.25||26.5||sewed 12 pinwheel blocks of one pattern fabric, cut 96 squares of beige fabric, and prepped next 2 sets of 15 pinwheel blocks|
And now for some photos!
|this is what the finished product will resemble|
to this finished point
took about 10 minutes per pinwheel block. I was happy to find that I quickly became efficient and shaved off 25% of that, getting down to 7.5 minutes per pinwheel block.
|12 pinwheel blocks of one pattern fabric|
|the back of a pinwheel block|
|making beige squares for the pinwheel blocks|
|pattern fabric #2 is ready to be whipped into pinwheel blocks|
|pattern fabric #3 is on deck|
|my workspace lately|
Note: my original plan was to make a 120" x 120" king size bedspread for my queen size bed because I want it to hang all the way to the floor on the sides and have enough length to tuck the pillows in like my grandma showed me when I was a little girl. I've since learned that this size quilt is to big even for industrial-sized sewing machines. So if I stick with this size I'll have to hand-quilt it. Which, if I do a large stitch pattern, won't be so bad. I mean, what's another several hours when I've had this project going for years, heh. Anyway, I can do that OR I can make it a smaller quilt and pay someone with an industrial-sized sewing machine to do the quilting for me. I have plenty of time to decide. For now I'm only doing 12/15 pinwheel blocks per pattern fabric because I'm afraid I'll run out of the beige material for the squares in the pinwheels; this may be the deciding factor in the size of my quilt.