31 January 2013

January Books


Looking for your next book? The three I read in January were all great! We're only a month into 2013 and I have 3 books under my belt! I can already tell that this year will hold a much redeemed "read book count" as compared to that of 2012. = )

January

(1) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - a twisty-turney mystery story of a man, his wife, and solving the mystery of where/why she's "gone"; the story is told well in a unique fashion of every other chapter being told from the man's perspective, then the woman's, but the catch is that he starts with present day and moves forward, and her side is told from her journal, past moving forward - eventually their chapters meet in time and go forward together

(2) The Dog Stars by Peter Heller - January's book club book; takes a while to get used to the writing style (no quotations or quote indentations), but a great post-apocalyptic tale of a man, his dog, and their search for something worth carrying on for in such a world; I really enjoyed this one - more than I expected to

(3) Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - a zombie romance with Romeo and Juliet themes; funny, thoughtful, zombie-licious; can hardly wait to see the movie (it opens this Friday!)

Here's what I have lined up to read in February:

February

(4) James & the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (I figure I can get this one knocked out even with a paper due this Sunday - LOVED the movie!)

(5) A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (started this back in May of last year, needed a break from Westeros, I suppose, but I find myself giddy with excitement at the idea of jumping back into that awesome world!)

(6) One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (February book club book!)

(7) Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (started a while ago, excited to pick back up!)

(8) Peony in Love by Lisa See (book given to me by a dear friend!)


Happy reading!

No comments: