30 November 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner Party

This Thanksgiving was the first that I've not spent with my immediate family in Indiana. In addition to the nostalgia of spending the holiday with close family, the weather in Florida is a bit bizarre for celebrating Thanksgiving. Nevertheless, I had a lovely holiday with two celebrations.

First I hosted a dinner party where I made my first turkey. A big, fat, 20-pounder! Thumbs up for turkey!


I had some of my favorite people over for the evening. I asked each person to bring a dish. We had green bean caserole, Caprese salad, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, macaroni and cheese, rolls, cranberry sauce, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and, of course, the turkey. When we were all seated we went around the table and said one thing for which we are thankful. I said that I was thankful my brother, Chucky, had survived Hell Week at NAVY BUD/S training. I am also thankful for my puppy, Heidi. Jessica brought champaigne so we toasted to the spirit of the holiday. Afterwards we played a few games of Mafia!

That was all on the Saturday prior to Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving Day I made pumpkin cake and took Heidi over to my second-cousin's house. I am so thankful to have Lori and her family nearby so I didn't have to spend the day without family. I appreciate how welcoming her and her family are to me and Heidi!

I hope your Thanksgiving was lovely!

No comments: