17 September 2017

My German Heritage

In putting together these blog posts about my up-coming trip to Germany, I realized I haven't really even tried to learn much about how I am of German descent. I just always knew it as truth based on what I'd been told and my mother's maiden name being clearly German. So, I asked my momma if she had any concrete information and was pleased to learn that she did!

My maternal grandfather's side of the family gives me my German blood. Some family members shared with her, and she with me, enough information for me to build the following path in my family tree.


Mary & Henry Baugher were my great-great-great-grandparents.

They lived in the German state of Bavaria (for which Munich is the capital). I have details that they were from "the Rein Region", but haven't yet been able to discover where exactly that is. My best guesses as to where their home might have been are the following.
  • Rain, Swabia, the red pin that is the farthest north
  • Rein-Tal (Rain Valley), the red pin that is farthest south

"Rein", "rhine", and "rain" all seem to be related spellings of "rain" in English. The Rhine is a river that flows through Europe.

Joseph Baugher was born on 16 November 1861 in Ohio. He died on 16 June 1916 in Indiana. He was my great-great-grandfather.

Russell Baugher was born on 6 July 1884 in Lawrence, Indiana. He died in 1977 in Elwood, Indiana. He was my great-grandfather.

I knew Elmer & Imogene Baugher, my maternal grandparents, and I miss them both dearly.

It's really very neat to discover some of one's family heritage. I am looking forward to visiting the state, region, and country where my distant relatives once lived.

Special thanks to my mom, my Uncle Dave, and my Cousin Kerry for gathering and sharing the information about our German heritage!

I used Family Echo to build the family tree graphic. It is a free online tool and very easy to use.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

This is all very exciting, Amanda! Wish we were going with you. Enjoy your travels, and maybe you'll find an authentic Bavarian Cream dessert while in Bavaria, Germany.

Anonymous said...

So cool. ♡, Linda