17 September 2017

Berlin Marathon

The Berlin Marathon is just week away, on Sunday, 24 September 2017! This post contains some helpful information and an update on my readiness.
  • Training
    • Training went really well and was injury free (yay!). However, my IT Band was (seemingly out of nowhere) giving me some grief on a light run Wednesday evening, but I’m trying not to freak myself out. I’m getting new shoes to break in with my taper run this weekend and will up my stretching; hopefully these things will set me straight again.
    • UPDATE: new shoes did the job! It's crazy how their cushioning breaks down and can lead to discomfort and injury.
  • Race Goal Based on my training performance (I managed 20 miles in 4 hours) I expect to finish the 26.2 miles in approximately 5.25 hours. I’m happy just to finish alive within the 6.25-hour time limit but am aiming for as close to 5.25 hours as I can.
  • Time Difference Berlin is 7 hours ahead of us. The race officially starts around 9 AM (Berlin time), but I won’t actually start until my wave crosses the starting line around 10 AM (Berlin time). No hard feelings if you don’t wake up at 3 AM Sunday morning (Mansfield time) to follow the race, haha! You can just read the notifications of my race’s progress when you wake up. = ) If all goes according to plan, then I should be finishing up around 3:15 PM (Berlin time) / 8:15 AM (Mansfield time).
  • Thank You Thanks for all of the support! It’s really encouraging to know that people back home will be thinking of me and cheering me on next weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 04:56:41 time! I didn't realize this was such a huge marathon with Kenyans and Olympians and such! Way to go girl! You are truly a SUPER WOMAN! - much love from Texas! Lisa