14 July 2010

The Sun Also Rises


This was the book club pick for May 2010. I was really excited about reading this book because I enjoy what Hemingway poetry I've read, and the book is a favorite of one of my good friends, Matt.

Unfortunately the book didn't really tickle my fancy. I was able to sludge through the first half. I remember being confused about who was speaking and not know where the story was going. Not that it had to go anywhere, but I didn't know what the point of the book was. I still don't, come to think of it.

The second half of the book was much more interesting with the bull runs and festivities in Spain. Some of the background was drawn out for my tastes, but I was able to keep up with what was going on in the story.

I didn't catch on until late in the book that Lady Brett was a bit of a flirt. I don't understand how or why her fiance put up with that behavior. All along it seemed Jake and Brett were going to have an affair together, but nothing ever really came of it.

Maybe that's the point. That two people can love each other but nothing may ever come from it.

Anyway, the book does not reside so high on my list of favorites as it does on Matt's, but that's the great thing about being in a book club: it'll get you out of your reading box. I'm happy I finished it, and I look forward to discussing the book with Matt (I was out of town for May's book club).

Wikipedia Article
IMDB Article

No comments: